Sunday, August 03, 2008

I Smell a Rat

India is, how to say, um, unpredictable. A small bag of clothes was returned to me yesterday; I’d sent them out for ironing. Upon receiving them, I was told, “There is one small problem Madam. With one dress. Only one dress.”

Pregnant pause.

“With one dress, there is problem inside. But other are fine. But, one small, small rat,” he began, demonstrating with his thumb and pointer finger, “ate one dress.” Pause.

“Hmmm? What did you say?” I lifted my black skirt out of the bag, holding it up in front of me. Tip toeing my fingers across the fabric, I pinched it carefully, while thinking about diseases that can be passed through the saliva of small rats. Lo and behold, breakfast, lunch and dinner had been tatter-torn of the back of my skirt.

“But all other dresses are fine, Madam.” Thank you, I’m relieved. “And no charge for these, Madam. No charge.” Thank you again.

1 comment:

  1. lol. I've read most of this entire page, and this short essay is the best of the bunch! Well said!

    ReplyDelete

It is always great to hear from site visitors, whether your comments are positive or negative. Thanks for sharing your perspective.