Thursday, October 30, 2008

Start Spreadin' the News

Arrived back in New York last night--my first trip home since I moved to India last December. I spoke to my mom and she sounded positively giddy to learn that I was back on American soil. I have to admit, I felt happy to be back after I went through immigration and the terse officer who stamped my passport allowed herself to say, "Welcome back!"



The ride from Newark (for an OBSCENE price) to Brooklyn was eerily silent. I heard the sound of the tires on the smooth asphalt, and that is all. Zip. Swallow the key. Silence.



First meal off the plane was sushi--no hamburgers or apple pie here--so pleased to have some fresh fish from the restaurant around the corner. Caught up with friends, shared war stories from the economic downturn. And slept.



On the N train to the city now. The guy on my right is reading a paperback copy of Star Wars. He's on the chapter called "The Courtship of Princess Leia." The girl on my left is doing some sort of dot-art picture with a yellow highlighter. To her left is a woman applying mascara. Nothing's changed.





Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is always great to hear from site visitors, whether your comments are positive or negative. Thanks for sharing your perspective.