Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Isn't it Ironic


I returned from yoga this morning in a rickshaw which cost 25 rupees (50 cents). I handed the driver a 50 rupee note, but as usual, he had no change. Early in the morning, rickshaw drivers have a hard time breaking even the smallest bills because they are just starting their shift and are usually empty handed except for a few coins. It's only over the course of the day that they stockpile tens and twenties and fifties. By the end of the day, change isn't a problem. But, at 8 in the morning, it is.

We tried to get change from three passersby, but no luck. And no shops had opened yet. Finally, from inside the rickshaw, I see a woman in a sari stop and pull her coin purse from the inner folds around her waist. I couldn't see her face because of the curved roof of the rickshaw, but she started counting out tens to hand to me.

I ducked my face down to thank her, and there was my trash lady--the woman who comes every morning to collect my waste, a position very low on the totem poll in terms of caste and position in Indian society; even the maid that cleans my apartment balks at taking out the trash. And, yet,here was my trash woman loaning me money--or at least, helping me out. I could see that this was about all the money she had in her soiled change pouch, but she willingly gave it, without knowing or caring who was in the rickshaw.

2 comments:

  1. I loved that perspective ... neat too that you were aware that she didn't know or care who you were ... but was simply willing to help.

    ReplyDelete

It is always great to hear from site visitors, whether your comments are positive or negative. Thanks for sharing your perspective.