Sunday, April 25, 2010

Olives and Oysters in Ferney, France


Is this thing on? It's been awhile. Work has been beastly. For months. But let this be the re-start of a concerted effort to write more often.

I'm sitting in an Apart'Hotel in Ferney-Voltaire, France. My friends Lauren and Maz just moved here three weeks ago for Lauren's new job doing something impressive involving vaccines for Africa. When they left DC, they took their 18-month-old son Julian and their 4-year-old Wheaton Terrier, Kine. Now the four of them are holed up eating baguettes in this little hotel across from a Nissan dealership and a horse farm (this is how they do things in France) until they find a proper house.

I left India early Friday morning, and by midnight, I was in France. In the interim, I set foot in four countries: Turkey (Istanbul airport) then Milan (airport then Milan Centrale) then Geneva, then over the border to Ferney. Long day.

Yesterday I revived myself with brie and pain quotidien from the boulangerie next door. Then Lauren, Julian and I sampled our way through the Ferney market, snacking on olives and oysters, white wine, goat cheese and the odd piece or blood orange or salty smear of tapenade.

Compared to Bombay, life here is clean and strangely void of energy. I keep trying to image if I could live here, but everything seems so still. I'm constantly on the verge of taking a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is always great to hear from site visitors, whether your comments are positive or negative. Thanks for sharing your perspective.