Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Bubba Gump Shrimp Factory


So, yeah, word to the wise. Don't drink the water. And don't eat the shrimp.

When I moved into my apartment three months ago, I was excited to be on the water with a view of the ocean from my bedroom and kitchen. I didn't mind that a few people had taken up residence in make-shift huts on the rocky beach.

Now, the slum dwellers have been booted in order for the shrimpmongers to dry their catch. In the image above, the pink blankets you see are the shrimp, which have been laid on the ground, where the crows snack on them, and the dust from passing vehicles is thrown. Did I mention they are ON THE GROUND?

When the sun hits them, it is quite picturesque, the pink shells glistening in the sun. But, any beauty in the process is lost upon inhalation. Sun dried shrimp creates an incredible stench--think Chinatown times ten. The ocean breeze--damn that ocean breeze--carries that perfume, up, up and in to the third floor of my little sea view apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is always great to hear from site visitors, whether your comments are positive or negative. Thanks for sharing your perspective.