Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Weather

One day I will care about the weather. I will watch the radar like I’m command central and tell you when the rain will come. I will know when the trees need water. When the hay is ready for cutting. When the horses should be let out to run. I will know how many days of record highs we’ve had, and that this is the worst it’s ever been since 1925.

One day, after it rains, I will check my rain gauge and I will compare how much I have here and how little you have there, and I will speak with certainty about the ground drying out. I will admire your horse and you will praise my new mower. I will revel in watching the mercury fall. And, I will sit in the den of my log cabin as the light streams in, writing of my life before, when there were no seasons.

(Inspired by a recent trip home to Texas)

2 comments:

  1. I love this so much, I wish I'd written it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how can you forget the Mumbai Monsoons ???? Beautiful post, this one.

    ReplyDelete

It is always great to hear from site visitors, whether your comments are positive or negative. Thanks for sharing your perspective.